Search The Archives

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

SECOND US JOURNALIST STEVEN SOTLOFF MURDERED BY ISIS: BRIT NATIONAL NEXT ON LIST


The Islamic militant group ISIS beheaded a second American journalist in a gruesome video made public Tuesday, following through on a threat two weeks ago to keep killing unless the United States stopped airstrikes in Iraq.
The journalist, Steven Joel Sotloff, was beheaded in a video made public by SITE Intel Group, which monitors jihadist organizations.
ISIS beheaded the other American journalist, James Foley, in a video released in August and threatened to kill Sotloff unless President Barack Obama ended the airstrikes pummeling ISIS targets.
Sotloff, 31, wrote about conflict in the Middle East for Time magazine and other publications. He grew up in Miami and attended the University of Central Florida in the early 2000s. He disappeared in August 2013 in Syria.
The video, titled “A Second Message to America,” opens with a clip of President Barack Obama speaking after ISIS beheaded Foley last month. Obama vowed in those remarks to be relentless when Americans are harmed.
The video then shows Sotloff, wearing an orange jump suit and kneeling, in a sparse desert landscape, next to a black-clad ISIS fighter — a replica of the conditions in the video in which Foley was beheaded.
Speaking to the camera, Sotloff faults Obama for U.S. intervention in the Middle East. The ISIS fighter then blames Obama for refusing to heed ISIS’s warnings and end military strikes. The video threatens the life of a British captive, David Cawthorne Haines.
“It is an absolutely disgusting and despicable act,” Prime Minister David Cameron of Britain said, according to the Press Association news agency.
The White House press secretary, Josh Earnest, said that he could not confirm the authenticity of the Sotloff video. He said that the United States had devoted significant time and resources to rescuing Sotloff. The CIA and State Department also said that they could not confirm authenticity.
“If the video is genuine, we are sickened by this brutal act,” said Jen Psaki, a State Department spokeswoman.